Sunday, December 2, 2018

People ask me about the inspiration for my writing. Beyond the obvious (a 1972 hit song about a lovely barmaid named Brandy), much of the inspiration for the narrative of the novel comes from Charles Dickens, specifically, “A Christmas Carol”. Read the first few paragraphs and notice how the narrator argues with himself about the possibility that a doornail can actually be “dead”. That was an inspiration for much of the narrative in “Brandy You’re A Fine Girl.”
The other source of inspiration came from Garrison Keillor. His description of the Lake Wobegon women gathering in the basement of the Lutheran Church with their covered dishes inspired much of descriptions of the town folk in the setting for Brandy.
I don’t claim to be as good a writer as either Dickens or Keillor. But I hope when you read my book, you’ll see me channeling their creativity.
“Brandy You’re A Fine Girl”, a novel written by Joe DeShon and inspired by the 1972 hit song by Looking Glass, will be available in paperback, Kindle, and Audible formats in Spring, 2019. #BrandyBook

No comments:

Post a Comment